In 2020, building an effective internal communication strategy required that organizations optimize an existing digital workspace for their employees or create a new one from scratch. As organizations continue to rely on digital solutions to connect their workforce, it’s clear that the digital workspace is here to stay.
Learn how to create an effective internal communication strategy for your organization.
While our white paper goes into detail about broader internal communication strategies within frontline-majority organizations, here we’ll go over the basics of digital workspaces and how they can support internal communication efforts.
First, let’s look at what a digital workspace means. A digital workspace is a centralized framework of tools that brings together all the resources an employee needs in one place. It allows employees to access information and communicate with colleagues in a seamless and secure manner.
How COVID-19 Has Impacted the Digital Workspace Landscape
In 2020, many organizations needed to provide employees with a digital workspace to stay in business. Now, the question is not whether a digital workspace is worth it but how it can be improved and expanded upon. Over the past year, changes in the digital workspace landscape include:
- Merging tools into one platform to provide a more streamlined user experience
- Emphasis on improving employee engagement for remote employees
- Transforming processes like hiring, onboarding, and training to function remotely
- Focus on previously underserved groups like frontline employees
Internal Communication Strategies for the Digital Workspace
At its most basic, internal communication involves the way employees connect and communicate with the company they work for. For many organizations, internal communication happens exclusively on a digital workspace, so the two terms are almost synonymous.
An internal communication strategy for a digital workspace uses a specific platform to:
- Make relevant information easily accessible
- Relay important news and updates
- Engage employees and gather feedback with polls and surveys
- Increase productivity and reduce miscommunication
In 2021, we’ll see more organizations embrace the potential of digital workspaces to build internal communication strategies that:
- Digitally enable frontline workers to make more informed decisions in the moment and provide feedback
- Leverage the power of AI to automate and improve operational efficiency
- Secure buy-in and participation from leadership
- Move away from a top-down approach and towards bottom-up communication