In the first quarter of 2019, Beekeeper announced brand new marketplace integrations with not one, but two exciting new apps. First, we rolled out an integration with Betterworks Engage, a cutting-edge employee survey tool. Second, we were listed on Zapier, a marketplace of over 2000 plug-and-play cross-app integrations. Well folks, we aren’t done yet. We’ll be launching another feature in 2019 to further boost efficiency and productivity for frontline teams. Introducing. . . Shift Schedules.
As the go-to mobile communications tool for frontline employees, Beekeeper’s Shift Schedules tool allows shift managers to share employees’ schedules with every member of their team no matter where they are via the Beekeeper app. This will allow hourly shift workers to easily check the most updated schedules whenever and wherever they want and stay informed about their upcoming shifts or changes to shifts. Shift managers can upload an Excel shift schedule to Beekeeper, or you can connect Beekeeper to your existing Shift Scheduling tool via our Shifts API to make sure your frontline workforce is always up-to-date on their schedule. It’s the ultimate tool for your management!
Now, frontline workers can have instant access to their work schedules right at their fingertips. No more standing in front of dusty bulletin boards desperately searching for a faded, printed schedule that’s probably already outdated anyways.
With Beekeeper’s new Shift Schedules feature, frontline workers can enjoy greater autonomy with instant access to a user-friendly, personalized work schedule right from their mobile device. Frontline workers will have access to all the information they need, without having to sort through rows of hard-to-read data on a company-wide printed schedule.
Curious to learn more? You’ve come to the right place! Here’s everything you need to know about this exciting feature.
Shift Management: What is Beekeeper Shift Schedules?
Beekeeper’s Shift Schedules makes it easier for frontline employees to swap shifts and update their availability. Members of shift teams can simply contact their managers directly through the app to request approval for shift coverage or last-minute schedule changes. Companies benefit from reduced absenteeism, as managers are now able to ensure coverage for every shift thanks to clear communication and a streamlined scheduling process.
Why Shift Schedules Communication for Workforce Management?
We’re always searching for new ways to make Beekeeper more useful, engaging, and easier to use for our customers. We strive to make working life smoother for frontline employees enabling them to be more productive (and ultimately happier) team members.
Here are just some of the reasons why we released this new Shifts communication capability.
- Save time updating frontline workers about shift changes or answering schedule questions
- Distribute shift schedules and updates more efficiently
- Minimize confusion over schedule changes
- Increase productivity
- Reduce absenteeism
Last minute schedule changes happen on a daily basis (especially in the service industry). Employees get sick, swap shifts at the last minute without approval, write down the wrong start times, the list of possible complications that comes with printed schedules are endless.
Frontline employees often have to call their workplace the night before their shift to ask the person working on the floor to go back and check the printed schedule for them so they know what time to come in the next day. This is because weekly employee shift schedules change so often, it’s difficult to know for sure which is the correct version. Extra steps like these are extremely time-consuming and frustrating for staff. There has to be a better way! Fortunately with Shift Schedules, now there is.
With Beekeeper’s Shift Schedules feature, everything happens in real time, right within the app. Managers can easily approve shift changes, and employees can trust they’re viewing the correct version of their schedule.
What Are the User Benefits of Beekeeper’s Shift Schedules?
Frontline employees can:
- Instantly check their schedules directly on their mobile device. They can see when they’re working either through a calendar view, or list view.
- Receive push notifications for when new shifts are added, and when changes to existing shifts are made
- See important shift details like the shift title/code, color, date, start time, and end time of their shift
- View the duration of their shift
Shift managers can:
- Centralize all shift communication in one, easy-to-use platform. No more desperate, last-minute emails from employees trying to get their shift covered!
- Save hours of time each week by streamlining shift communication
Increase efficiency by bulk uploading shift schedules in Excel directly into Beekeeper.
Why Shift Schedules Matter More Than You Think
Not only does Beekeeper’s new Shift Schedules feature make life easier on shift managers, it can actually improve the quality of life for your hourly workers. According to a recent study in FastCompany, a lack of stability in an employee’s work schedule can negatively impact their sleep and even their overall happiness.
- 16% of respondents reported that they receive their work schedules with less than a few days notice. (Imagine it’s 8:00 on a Sunday night, and all of a sudden you get an email saying you have to open at 5:30 the next morning. Finding out at the last minute that you have to work in a few hours is incredibly stressful — yet this is a reality for many hourly workers.)
- 12% of respondents reported that they’ve had shifts unexpectedly canceled at the last minute. For someone who may live paycheck to paycheck, this unwelcome day off could seriously impact their financial stability.
- 45% of respondents reported feeling distressed. (I mean, can you blame them?!)
The study also found that even small improvements in schedule stability can alleviate many of these problems. Simply sharing employee schedules two weeks in advance was strongly associated with the chance that more workers would feel happy in their jobs. With a little planning and preparation, managing shift schedules for hourly employees doesn’t have to be so painful.
Let Beekeeper help you schedule shifts without the stress, and ensure every shift is always covered. With better shift communication comes increased productivity and reduced absenteeism, saving companies time and money in the long run.